The First National Bank has a long history of service to the community. The birth of this institution is recorded in 1906 when The Bank of Russell Springs opened on Main Street. The name was changed to The First National Bank when the federal charter from the Comptroller of the Currency was issued on September 11, 1922.
The present directors include Charles B. Smith, Gene V. Smith, James Terill Wilson, Ronald Hopper, Charlene Harris and Doug Aaron.
The bank has prospered under the leadership of a list of outstanding individuals and has experienced growth and prosperity since those early years. In 1922, the original capital was $25,000 with a surplus of $11,000. Today, the institution shows assets of more than $100 million.
The First National Bank opened its present downtown facility on Main Street in 1958. A fire destroyed its original home, which was across the street from its present location. The Downtown Branch continues to serve the area as a full service branch.
In April 1980, a newly designed facility was opened relocating the Main Office to Jct. Hwy 127 & 80. In 1990, the main office was renovated and expanded to meet the growth demands in the community and the Lake Cumberland area. The improvements afford several advantages including providing better customer service.
In 1987, the bank opened another branch office two miles south of its Main Office location on South Highway 127 in front of the Russell County High School.
First National Bank is a full service bank. Through the combined effort of First National Bank's employees, officers, and directors, we will continue to demonstrate the bank's interest in the community and their dedication to serving Russell County and the Lake Cumberland area.